Here is another low -calorie and low-carb recipe that is great for any day of the week. The chicken based meal cooks up easily and stores well in the fridge for another delicious meal upon reheating.
Chicken lettuce wrap: recipe serves 6
|Lettuce, ½ a head||55 calories||11 g|
|Chicken breast, 1.5 lbs chopped and diced||1123 calories|
|Onion, ½ medium||23 calories||5 g|
|Soy sauce, 4 tbsp||35 calories||3 g|
|Sugar, 2 tbsp||25 calories||25 g|
|Water chestnut, 6 oz, diced||160 calories||40 g|
|Mushrooms, 6 oz diced||44 calories||8 g|
|Green onions, 1 bundle chopped|
|Ginger, 1 tsp finely chopped or ¼ tsp powder|
|Salt, ½ tsp|
|Rice wine vinegar, 1 tbsp|
|Garlic, 2-3 cloves or 1 tsp|
|TOTAL||1490 total calories||92 g|
- Mince the chicken breasts into fine pieces, or as an alternative, you can use 90% lean beef or ground turkey or ground chicken.
- Use a large non-stick skillet and put on medium heat, no oil required.
- Mince the chopped water chestnuts and mushrooms.
- Toss in the chopped chicken on the skillet.
- After 5 minutes, combine the rest of the ingredients: onions, green onions, water chestnuts, soy sauce, salt, ginger, garlic, rice wine vinegar, and ginger.
- Turn to medium high heat and cook for another 10 minutes or until done.
- Lay the lettuce leaves open on a large plate, scoop in the chicken mixture on the lettuce and sprinkle on a bit of green onions. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
There is a lot of flexibility with this recipe. You may omit the water chestnuts to reduce the carb content if you choose. And it almost does not matter the timing of the added ingredients as you cook. As long as most of the sauce cooks off, the chicken and chopped water chest nut will absorb the flavor and you will have a flavorful and healthy meal.