To make an appt, call us or schedule an appointment online hereElevation Medical Weight Loss of Pittsburgh & Weirton
2350 Noblestown Rd. Pittsburgh, PA 15205 (412) 304-2016
241 Three Springs Dr. Weirton, WV 26062 (304) 914-3112
We all know how important exercise is and the impact it has on our mental, physical and emotional health. So often we at Elevation Medical Weight Loss hear that people can’t exercise for one reason or another. Some think they are too large, too old, too feeble, the list goes on and on…excuses, excuses. Thankfully, there is something most of us can do and we do it every day, without even thinking…WALKING.
Did you know that walking at least 15 minutes every day can add up to 7 years to your life? We suggest if you are able to do more, challenge yourself with a vigorous walk whenever you can. If you have trouble physically walking for a while, just getting up and moving can make a difference!
Here are some benefits of walking every day:
- Walking boosts your mood. Walking just 12 minutes results in increase attentiveness
- Walking can improve cognitive performance
- Walking can lower your blood pressure
- Walking can help prevent or control diabetes. Women, in particular, who walk at least 30 minutes daily decrease their risk of diabetes by 30%.
- Walking has proven to be effective at shrinking dangerous abdominal fat linked to diabetes.
- Walking can help reduce pain and improve mobility
When you are walking, here are some tips to make the most out of your stroll:
- Swing your arms. Bend at 90 degrees and pump from shoulders. This allows for a quicker pace and provides a workout for your upper body.
- Wear comfortable shoes. Look for flexible soles and stiff heels, or any cushioned, lightweight, and low-heeled shoe. Try to avoid stiff-soled shoes that don’t bend.
- Make sure your posture is correct.
- Pick the right pace. To burn more calories, you should be walking at least 3-5 mph. Take smaller, faster steps to speed up.
- Try small hills, up and down steps for a more fat-blasting workout!
The smallest of things can help you walk more. If you have to take public transit, get off before your destination and walk the rest of the way. If you can, try taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk after lunch instead of sitting and chatting with co-workers. Walk your dog or a friend’s dog. Put your phone in the next room so that you have to get up to answer it. Same with the remote, put it by the TV.
The benefits of walking daily are astronomical, as it positively effects both your mental and physical state, leaving your mind and body happier and much healthier.
So grab your sneakers and your music and start moving those legs! Your body will thank you!